Sunday, August 16, 2009

Two completed already! #1 & #64

In the space of a weekend, I've completed my first two goals, #1 - Wear a colorful eyeshadow look out for a day, and #64 - Go wine-tasting.

#1 - Wear a colorful eyeshadow look out for a day


Here's the best pic I could get; see how the colors of the makeup and shirt work together?

I'm half-cheating, since I only wore it for an afternoon and evening. But the idea of it was to push me to wear something other than my usual neutrals out in public, and that I accomplished! My shirt this afternoon was a pattern based on yellow with flashes of red, with a faded-look purple paisley design in patches. I can't describe it well, but you can see some of it in the picture. So I decided to coordinate eyeshadow with the shirt, in warm gold and purples: I started with M.A.C. Crystal (pale grey-based lavender) on the inner third of the lid. I added Fyrinnae loose eyeshadow in Polar Bear (sheer pale gold, cool-toned not yellow), overlapping Crystal a bit, on the center half or so of the lid. Then came Fyrinnae's Kimchi (rosy terra-cotta with lots of gold sparkle) on the outer bit of the lid. I added a little more Polar Bear over the Kimchi to keep it from being such a stark contrast, then blended the three colors. After that, I used M.A.C. Satellite Dreams (vivid neutral purple, neither warm- nor cool-toned) in the crease and even did the "outer vee" in that. The last color was Fyrinnae's Oberon (charcoal base with vivid purple shimmer), wetlined along the upper lash line and outer third of the lower lash line. The purple in Oberon really pops when it's used wet, it turns out a dark metallic purple! M.A.C. eye kohl pencil in Teddy (dark bronzy brown) on my waterline and a coat of Neutrogena Weightless Volume mascara finished the look. No specific comments from anyone while I was out, but I thought it looked really good.


A closer detail of the eye; hard to do when all I have is my iPhone to take pictures on, but you get the idea.

The Verdict: I'm quite taken with this way of doing makeup, using it as an accessory instead of just "playing up my natural features". I can still do the "just enhancing my natural beauty" sort of makeup, but I find I love using color like this and treating makeup like another piece of jewelry. Skin jewelry! I've bought a new round of samples from Archetype Cosmetics, and they should be here within the next week, so I'm definitely going to keep this up. Maybe not every day, but often.



#64 - Go wine-tasting

I'm second from the right, the one in the red shirt with the long hair. This is the terrace of Silverado's tasting room. What a view!

Yesterday, a couple of family friends who are club members at two local wineries invited my mom and I to go tasting with them. We went to Silverado Winery first, and Luna Vinyards after that. I love reading the descriptions of wine flavors, with their florid prose - "scents of chocolate and bergamot"? Really? - and it was interesting, to try wines that are quite frankly well out of my budget for the most part. I got a bit tipsy; we bought four bottles from Luna, whose wines I liked quite a bit better than Silverado's, to be honest. My personal favorite was their Arnold Palmer Chardonnay, a rich, citrusy white. I'm not normally a fan of white wines, but I was quite pleased with it. Their Freakout, a special blend which we also bought a bottle of, was also excellent but a bit lighter.

The Verdict: An excellent time, a fun way to spend an afternoon with friends. Would definitely do this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment