Sunday, August 30, 2009

#5


#5 - Dye a purple streak in my hair

I had plans to hang out with Boyfriend this Friday and Saturday - he was going to come down from Sacramento to go sailing with my dad and I, then spend the night with me at my mom's place, and go to a friend's place to go swimming Saturday - and had a bit of money, so I decided to surprise him with the streak. I asked my colorist - she who does the red in my hair usually - about how to best go about doing a purple streak. She told me to get 40volume peroxide from Sally's and use that to bleach the streak, then use the Hot Topic hair dye in whatever color I wanted over the bleach. So I made a run up to the nearest Sally's, got the peroxide - and the bleach powder, which nobody had relayed to me that I would need that too! - stopped at Hot Topic for the purple, and came home. I begged my mom to help, since I was doing a streak low in the back it was hard to do myself. So she, with much grumbling, donned the black gloves o' doom and helped me get bleachy:

Go bleach go!


We washed the bleach out after a bit, dried it, and added the purple. I also wanted to touch up my red, cause I had horrible roots, so I had bought a box of basic over-the-counter hair dye. I wrapped the purple in saran wrap to keep it separate, and again got Mom to help add the red to the rest of my hair:
This is an AWESOME look for me. Totez hawt. Right? (I swear I'm not as stoned as I look...)


I left the purple in while the red worked, to make sure the purple would turn out really deep and vibrant. Then a shower to rinse it all out - you know when you're rinsing red hair color out in the shower and it splatters on the wall, it ends up looking like blood? - and let it dry. The next morning, I brushed and straightened my hair, and voila! A purple streak.


The verdict: I love it! It's subtle, particularly in artificial light. But it shows up really nicely in sunlight, and I really like that it's not glaringly bright, actually. A little bit of something different without being overwhelming. I really do love it. I'm totally going to keep it up. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment